Collecting Antiques in Southampton PA
Collecting antiques in the New Year
In this New Year, we all want to start fresh. Getting a new hobby, finding a new job or even a new place to live are all big goals we strive for when we want to make changes. If you are interested in the world of antiques, buying can be overwhelming to a beginner. Once you get the hang of antique stores, you will be able to shop with ease. Knowing how to shop for antiques and make informed choices will save you time, money and energy. Soon enough, you’ll be able to feel the thrill of finding high-value items.
Know your terms
- Learn the difference between a true antique, near antique, vintage and collectible before you start your search.
- True antique – is a term for an item that is at least a century old. True antiques are desirable because of their age, beauty, rarity, condition or personal connection.
- Near antique – an item between 75 to 99 years of age.
- Vintage – this is a broad definition that means “of a certain time.” These are normal items from the 40s, 50s, and 60s.
- Collectible – items valued or sought by collectors. They can be from any era and vary in price depending on rarity and condition.
Decide on your interest
The best antique buys are the ones that match your personal interests. Read guides about your special interests to determine what exactly you want to collect. Within a certain era or type of item, there are many different brands or styles to consider. The value of your item will vary greatly depending on age, brand, and condition. Keep these three criteria in mind as your search. If you are collecting as a hobby, buy what you love, not what is most valuable.
Set your budget
Before you even begin shopping, decide how much you want to spend on antiques and stick with that budget. Even the most seasoned antique buyers can get carried away and buy more than they can afford. If you do overpay for an item or bought something worth less than you thought, chalk it up to experience.
Where to look
Antique shops are great places to find deals on rare items. Local shops may be less stellar than something you will find at auctions but your local antique shop owner wouldn’t be placing auction quality items in their shop to begin with. You never know though, you may just find a high-value item for a low price.
Some things to consider
Research before you buy. If you’re not sure how much an item is worth or if it is authentic read up on the item and return to it later. Some antique shops will let you put an item on hold while you decide. When you are on vacation or out of town, check out antique shops in the area. Make time for antique shopping when in big cities, as you are most likely to find special items.
If you are looking to begin with your local antique shop in Southampton, be sure to visit Antique Allure. We are a well-established antique market just waiting for you to find your next treasure!